Hale Barns Merchants House
From the outset of this project, sourcing the correct chandeliers and pendants according to quality, style, scale and period was imperative. The result is a collection of twenty incredible antique lights set in a beautifully renovated early 1900’s former textile merchants house.
In the huge sun room hangs a gilt toleware chandelier that was originally sold by Liberty’s of London. The delicate gold leaves mirroring the trees outside.
A pair of copper Arts and Crafts pendants hang in the office, carefully sourced to sit well with the deep patina of the shelving and bespoke desk, and the leather chairs. These lights were made in 1902 by the same Birmingham makers of the lights we restored for the Whitworth Art Gallery.
At the top of the stairs, where the light floods through the colours of the original leaded lights of the windows we decided on the clear glass of a large Bohemian Crystal Chandelier. The provenance of this light dated it as being made Prague circa 1910.
In the master bathroom we completely renovated an early electrified Marie Therese chandelier by chroming the steel arms that hold the glass panels and all the other metal components. With the addition of really good crystal drops we ended up with a crystal and chrome period light that sat really well with the chrome theme in the room.
Two complimentary chandeliers of different sizes were needed in the master bedroom as it has a large alcove area for the dressing table. Here we installed French Waterfall chandeliers with crystal icicle droppers.
Other lighting included a lovely silver gilt English pendant in the side entrance porch and a fantastic Arts and Craft brass lantern above the front door. In the downstairs cloakroom we went for a lovely Empire balloon, also known as a Montgolfiere pendant.